Remember the Ch-ch-ch-chia pet? Well, apparently the Chia seed is as healthy as the chia pet was amusing. These tiny seeds are packed with 5 grams Fiber, Omega-3’s, and 3 grams of protein in 1 tbsp. Just like Flax seed, you can sprinkle in/on your smoothies, yogurt, fruit, oatmeal, etc., or whatever you can dream up. Just get a tablespoon in you somehow or another. It is worth it!
Chia seed originated in Mexico and Central America and was a staple in the diets of ancient Mayans and Aztecs
7 Good Reasons To Start Eating Chia Seeds
- Help weight loss. Chia seeds are popular for weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper.
- Feel fuller faster: They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.
- Hydration for athletes: They are also great for athletes because the “chia gel” can hydrate the body.
- Reduce your blood pressure: There’s evidence to suggest they can reduce blood pressure.
- Omega-3: They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect against inflammation—such as arthritis—and heart disease). In fact, they contain more Omega-3 than salmon!
- Benefits for diabetes: Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.
- They are easier to digest than flax seeds, and don’t need to be ground up.